Mexičané právě získali k velkému ekonomickému prospěchu právo na dvojí občanství
Los Angeles Times, March 20, 1998:
MEXICO's DUAL NATIONALITY OPENS DOORS by JAMES F. SMITH, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Law: Measure that takes effect today wont' grant voting rights, but it lets U.S. citizens invest in their homeland.
* Mexican law takes effect allowing Dominguez and millions of Mexican-born Americans and their children to hold Mexican nationality as well as U.S. citizenship.
*The Nationality Act revokes the previous rule that took away Mexican nationality from those who became citizens of another country. Furthermore, the new act broadens eligibility for nationality to include children of Mexican-born people.
*"This will enhance the economic mobility of both countries..."
*"I believe this is part of the broader process of growing commercial, cultural, and personal flows between Mexico and the United States."
* Direct investment, with its job-creating and skills-building potential, could become more productive for Mexico than mere cash remittances that simply boost production.
"Very highly skilled people now can come back to Mexico to work and share their skills." said Miguel Angel Gonzalez Felix, a senior Foreign Ministry official who helped craft the law...
* "There will be many more bridges of understanding that have existed in the past.."
* "the Mexican government had to find a way TO KEEP IT FROM BEING A STIGMA, A S I N , to take on U.S. nationality..." Carrillo Castro said.
* "People here are realizing a resurgence of identity, (that) their votes DO MATTER, (that) their leaders are becoming elected. They don't feel like SECOND CLASS CITIZENS ANY MORE."
"The Mexican government "has become more open and accepting of the importance of the Mexican peopleLIVING IN THE UNITED STATES AND HAS BEEN TREATING THEM WITH MORE RESPECT."
* "I SEE THIS AS A GREAT MOMENT," said Jose Angel Pescador Osuna, Mexico's Consul General in Los Angeles, heartland of the diaspora. "It reprrsents a historic gesture TOWARD MEXICAN IMMIGRANYTS AND MEXICAN AMERICANS."
*** "THEY CALLED ME STUPID AND A D R E A M E R, but now it has happened, and there are 5 million Mexicans in the United States who are going to receive this with great pride and satisfaction BECAUSE IT IS TIME THEY RECOGNIZED US.", said Jose Chapa, 73-year old, one of the most vocal activists for DUAL CITIZENSHIP.
*PRESIDENT ZEDILLO IS FINALLY SEEING US WHAT WE ARE, AS MEXICANS who are working for our country ABROAD, working for our families and THE WELL0BEING OF OUR COMMUNITIES.....
MEXICO IS OUR A N C E S T R A L HEARTLAND, WE LOVE MEXICO, WE LOVE UNITED STATES... THIS IS O U R "CASA!" TOO!
Times Staff Writer Patrick J. McDonnell in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
Source: LA TIMES, March 20, 1998. ***JBF*amdg***